Friday, July 10, 2009

Palin in 2012

No one political party has ownership of the ideas necessary to move this nation forward.While I am not a Republican, I certainly have family and friends that are proud members of the GOP. Truth be told, many of them are people for whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration. Even while disagreeing, I can clearly recognize that a great deal of thought, research and reasoning went into the formation of their ideas. So much so, that after hearing the quality of their arguments, I will, at times, find myself re questioning some of my own conclusions.

It is no secret that the Republican party counts among it's members a share of the nation's best and brightest minds. It was with that knowledge that I was so shocked when Sarah Palin was selected to be McCaine's running mate.
The first question that came to mind was "Is this is the Best and Brightest star that the GOP can find?"

It wasn't that I felt she was evil or had any bad intent, I just did not understand how can anyone could make the case that she was ready to "Step in" to the job of leader of the free world.The entire state of Alaska has less than one twelfth the population of the Chicago Metro area. She had never met with any world leaders, possessed zero foreign affairs experience, zero Washington experience. Her resume was devoid of any of the usual, expected list of prior government positions that typically accompany one seeking to be a "Heartbeat away" from the presidency. That said, I can understand that there are people that have demonstrated they have achieved the necessary "Skill-Set" through an alternative set of challenges and responsibilities. However we discovered Sarah Palin had never ran a major company, had no experience in international business or been a General in the armed forces.

She had been mayor of a town smaller than the population of many condo building associations, and a newly elected first term Governor. Upon those experiences many deemed her ready to be VP and after the election, ready to run for President of the United States in 2012. But now, by her own stunning admission, she was not even prepared to continue in her job as Governor do Alaska.

Addressing the media from the town of Dillingham, in the "Folksiest costume" contained in her closest (fishing waders) , Palin stated .
"I'm not going to take the comfortable path. I'm going to take the right path for the state," she said of her resignation, which she spun as a matter of progressing in an unconventional way.
"That caught people off guard. ... It's out of the box and unconventional. That's what we are as Alaskans and certainly how I am as a public servant."

This media blitz came out of her need to explain why quitting her job with two weeks notice was not an example of "Quitting" but instead was a "Selfless act" for the good of the people of Alaska.
Sarah Palin says she's not a quitter, she's a fighter, but then added that, politically speaking, "if I die, I die. So be it."

Ok. I understand that she and her administration has been paralyzed by fending off lawsuits. I'm sure that the criticism she has faced has been difficult. I understand that she has an opportunity to "Cash-in" on her fame. I even understand that with a special-needs-child, it might even be a responsible action; so as to put aside the funds that can provide for a better quality of life for that child. Just don't tell me that she is truly ready to be president in 2012.

Larry Lubell

No comments: