Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Super Model, Super Perfection

We live in the age of Photoshop, where companies will pay photographers to take the best, most flattering photo of their product or celebrity, and then go the next step and "Improve" on reality.

Most of the time Photoshop is used to "Fix" the same types of issues that film photographers have dealt with for decades. They can range from removing glare or a reflection of the photo lights on the subject, simplifying a background so as to make the subject stand out. But with the invention of Photoshop, we see companies and celebrities alike demanding that "A bit of work be done" in an attempt for perfection.

Please understand, I would love to have a professional "Work on" any image of me; since I can use all the help I can get. That said, it is a little disconcerting  when Super Models find they are not ready for publication without hours of a trained person being spent "Fixing the image. But I am NO SUPER MODEL ! I need all the help I can get.

But the Idea that some one would take a look at her, and say "No I think she needs a bit of work seems a bit hard to believe.


 If Kate Upton is not hot enough to appear on the cover of a magazine without Photoshop magic, what chance would the rest of us have?

It becomes easy to understand why so many young woman have eating disorders, and feel bad about the way they look, if even those one out of a thousand winners in the genetics lottery still fall short of the perfection magazines lead us to believe are common place.
So much for perfection, I like the before image better.


No comments: