Monday, April 9, 2007

Senate Panel Approves Iraq Pullout timetable

By Larry Lubell
While most people in the United States now believe that the war in Iraq is not going well, It seems as if many are reluctant to set a “Time certent” for their departure.Bill O’Reiilly recently stated that he believed “Most Americans have turned against the war because of the high cost of the conflict in both blood and treasure”. He spoke of there being three basic groups of opinion when it came to the war. “The first group believes, as President Bush does, that the war is absolutely necessary and must be fought to the bitter end.“The second group is the one I’m in. We believe the war was a noble effort to remove a homicidal dictator, who violated the first Gulf War cease-fire 17 times, but that the Iraqi people have not stepped up enough to make democracy possible there. I am deeply disappointed that many Iraqis are corrupt and put revenge over the good of their nation. — America has given Iraq a chance at freedom and prosperity. The Kurds in the north took that opportunity and are prospering, but many Sunni and Shia are mired in murder”.“The Third group he explains are “usually far left fanatics and believes the USA is immoral and the war in Iraq evil.”I was not in favor of going into Iraq, even though I saw not a single redeeming character trait possessed by Saddam. Sure I loved the idea of getting him out of power and brought to justice, but I just saw a great potential for a long bloody standoff. This is one of those I would rather have been proven wrong than right. In fact when I see the poor way the administration handled the war, I’m not sure how much of the reason we are in such a bad place in due to the whole idea of entering Iraq being a mistake, and how much is just a product of poor execution and second rate leadership. I still trust that the Bush administration meant well, and did truly did believe that they were doing the right thing. In this case I do agree with O’Reilly when he concludes.The Iraq conflict has been painful and is still in doubt after four years. If we had to do it all over again, we would not. We’d find another way to get Saddam.
It was Colin Powell who advised Bush 41 against going into Baghdad by saying“You break it- you own it!”The danger of setting a date for leaving is it almost guarantees defeat, on the other hand at what point do you say the price paid has reached a limit. I will conclude as I did on this topic before. What do you do when all options are bad? When all doors seem to lead to disaster?I have to say that I feel sorry for our president, and I’m glad I don’t have to make these calls.
If you have any answers or coments Contact us @ Send your comments
Posted in Uncategorized, Current events and politics

No comments: