Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bristol Palin's "Shotgun-Wedding"

Sarah and Todd Palin have released the following statement in conjunction with the McCain campaign:

"We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us. Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned.
We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.
"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family. We ask the media to respect our daughter and
Levi’s privacy as has always been the tradition of children of candidates."

All parents know that despite our best wishes, and most carefully crafted plans, often life throws you a curve. I am sure that watching their daughter, drop out of school, give up, or put on hold any plan of college; because she got pregnant, was not the film they played in their heads. But as a family they made choices based on their beliefs, values and priorities- and I respect their choices.
What upsets me is Sarah Palin unwillingness to let others have the power to make these tough choices according to their own belief set.

My wife and I discussed the "What if" question of Down Syndrome when she was pregnant, We did not have to face that heart-wrenching choice, but if we did- our decision would have been not to carry to term. If faced with our 17 year old child informing us that she was with child, we would not encourage her to get married; but instead to have an abortion or give the child up for adoption. If I had a 17 year old son that told us how he got his friend pregnant, I would not encourage him to marry the girl. Of course I would not tolerate him just "Walking-away"- but I could not in good conscience let him give up his dreams. He would be selling himself short, and living a life filled with regret, and what ifs that would tear him apart and result in him being an unhappy husband and father, which would make both the mother and child's lives both miserable.

But, maybe I'm wrong?
The point is, while I respect her right to follow her Beliefs and values; she wants to make it illegal for me to follow mine. That is what I object to - that is what gets me angry.

Sure I think we should respect the privacy of candidate's children; however
When you force others to follow your will, People have the right to call you on it.
during Sarah Palin's 2006 gubernatorial race, Palin again stated that she is against abortion unless a doctor determined that a mother's life would end due to the pregnancy. That even in the case of her own daughter being the victim of rape, she would still oppose the right to an abortion. These views are well outside the mainstream. I am sorry to say this, but, I cant help but feel that the impending marriage of her daughter,is less a tale of "Star-Crossed-Lovers" and more an example of old fashion "Shotgun-Wedding".
But that might be popular not just with Anti-Abortion crowd, but the NRA as well.

Larry Lubell

No comments: